Friday, August 16, 2013

First 2 Weeks

Bringing Addison home was a very different experience than with Alexa. From the moment we walked in the door I became a mother of two. Alexa was pulling me one way and Addison was needing to be fed. Fortunately I  had some help with the transition.

Addison started out sleeping a lot and has since become alert for hours at a time. She is very happy when she is awake. I enjoy talking to her and watching her eyes respond. We are working on keeping her up more during the evening in hopes that the nights will be longer sleep stretches. I am used to getting 8-9 hours of sleep at night. A newborn baby certainly changes that. I am hopefully once we are alone and in our normal routine I will be able to get to bed earlier and sleep in later until Addison sleeps longer stretches.

Addison had her first bath at just an hour old. I waited a week before giving her another one. She really was not dirty so I didn't find a need to earlier. She had a sponge bath & of course had to wash her hair. I think she actually enjoyed getting her head rubbed and hair cleaned. Her hair usually has an oily look to it. After I was her hair it fluffs out & I LOVE it. At 12 days old Addison had her second bath. It went well & I am now looking forward to her first real bath.

I was determined to give nursing a good attempt. Once we got home from the hospital I was so afraid of how much Addison was eating & rather I was nursing correctly. I REALLY do not want to pump exclusively this time. I am trying to make sure everything I do encourages successful nursing and not leading me back to pumping. I had a rough few days once my milk came in. So far we made it through & it seems to be going well. I plan on attending the breast feeding support group on post starting next week. They will weigh the baby before, watch and give suggestions with the nursing & then weigh her after. It should be very helpful. Fingers crossed that we are making strides in the right direction. I am taking it one day at a time, but really hoping we can make it a year. :)

The pediatrician that saw Addison in the hospital suggested she go to her primary doctor in 2-3 days. Addison went at 6 days old. She weighed 5 lbs  14 ounces. Up three ounces in 3 days. Everything checked out great. Addison went back to the doctor at 13 days old for her 2 week well baby visit. She was 6 lbs 7 ounces. I was pleasantly surprised at how much she gained in a week. It was a huge victory for breast feeding. She will go back in early September for her 1 month well baby check.

Addison's newborn photos turned out great. She slept through most of the shoot and cooperated to the best of a 12 day old ability. Justin brought a heating pad and we made it our goal to keep her warm. I think that was the biggest help in having a successful session. Alexa

Alexa has been doing great as a big sister. At first she was struggling with the attention but I think we are finding a balance. She has asked to hold her sister and even walks up and rubs her head. I am glad she feels comfortable being around her. So far we have not had any major issues. Hopefully this continues for awhile. I am guessing the big test will be when all the visitors leave & Daddy goes back to work. I will be on my own with my two girls (which I am REALLY excited about). Alexa will go to preschool a few hours a day. I am hoping this will give her the play time she needs and also allow Addison and I to have some bonding time.

Addison's cord was originally cut about three inches long. On her second day the nurse cut it down to a near stub. Around day 9 it feel off. We had some minor bleeding after that. I kept it dry until her 2 week birthday an then she got her first dip in a real bath. Her skin is VERY dry after the bath. I think we will be limiting her soaking to once a week at the most. Her face on the other hand has some baby acne. I am not sure if its from nursing, being touched too much on the face or a combination of both. I am going to work on keeping it oil free and dry.

I am so in love with my little Addison. I am really struggling with the thought of her going to daycare or even an in home daycare in just 10 weeks. I am trying not to count down but I feel the impending deadline quickly approaching. Even 3 days a week feels like too much for me. I guess we will have to work on that over the next two months. For now I am going to cuddle with my littlest peanut as much as I can. They really do grow up too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment