Thursday, October 28, 2010

6 Weeks Old!

Alexa's first full week in Kansas! We started out our weekend by taking Alexa to the pumpkin patch. We found a great farm about 30 minutes away in Missouri. They had a very large pumpkin field, hay ride, train ride, petting zoo, corn maze & toys for the kids. Of course we only opted to do the pumpkin patch & some photos but this will be a great place to come back to when Alexa is a little older. It is very windy here & the farm was no exception. We had to keep Alexa bundled up but she did not seem to mind. We picked out her first pumpkin (which weighs more than she does) and took lots of photos.

Saturday night we attended a bonfire with people Justin will be working with. Alexa received lots of attention from some of the other wives. She didn't seem to mind the fire & slept right through it.

Ever since Alexa was born I have been worrying about how much or how little she is eating. I decided I would pump for the entire day & keep track of how much she is taking in. She ate anywhere from 3.5oz to 5oz each feeding. I could not believe she was eating that much. Total for the day she ate 24oz after her 6 feedings. The common equation used to determine how much a newborn should eat is their weight times 2.5. Alexa was approximately 8lbs last week so she should be eating 20oz. Of course this not an exact science & she has grown since her last measuring, but this was reassuring for me. I will do this once a week until I am comfortable with her nursing routine.

I love watching Alexa grown! The down side is having her move out of her newborn clothes. Justin tried putting on her brown jumper but was unable to do so. Our little (or not so little) girl can no longer wear some of her newborn clothes. I guess we will be starting to box some stuff up to save in case she gets a little sister one day. The clothes we are having the most trouble with are one piece items. Alexa still has a very small stomach and mid section. Her legs seem to be where the trouble is at. Anything that has closed off legs are too short on her. We also moved her into size 1 diapers. There is no turning back from here!

On Tuesday morning our furniture arrived. I have been very anxious for this day. I knew it would be stressful, but exciting at the same time. Alexa of course was a little challenging, but we were completely unpacked before bedtime on Wednesday.

This week Alexa has discovered my hair. She will pull it when she eating, burping, getting rocked to sleep or just hanging out. Any suggestions on this would be great. I love seeing her becoming more active, but it does hurt. We have also started having Alexa sleep in her crib. She really does not mind being in her room & has been doing great. At night I still prefer her in our room. This makes it easier for me to nurse her with out her really having to wake up. When she does wake up to eat it she usually does not cry. I can hear her while she just whimpering & therefore she does not get upset. I am afraid to move her to her room while she is so quiet. I would hate to not be able to hear her. I guess we will work on that in a few weeks, I am in no rush.

Oh yah, big news for Alexa. Her clogged tear duct is no longer clogged. We have gone 24 hours with out cleaning the yellow gunk out of her eye.

2 comments:

  1. I always kept my hair in some sort of bun. A simple pony tail didn't always work because JB would inevitably find it. The bun was better because it was strictly at the back of my head and much more difficult to reach and pull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would put your hair up or try giving her something she can hold onto while you are feeding her. Matt has this ball with LOTS of holes..its called an OBALL. It's VERY easy for newborns to grasp.

    ReplyDelete