Thursday, January 13, 2011

17 Weeks

I am starting to feel a little silly making the title of my post in weeks. Its crazy to think that Alexa is almost 4 months old. This is the week, one year ago that Justin and I found would we were expecting. Things have certainly changed a lot since then. I never could have imagined how much I would enjoy being a mother or how quickly I could fall in love with Alexa.

This week Alexa continued to improve with her eating. She has kept all of her bottles down & does not seem to be getting upset from gas. Our happy little girl has returned! Up to this point Alexa was drinking a five ounce bottle five times a day and one seven ounce bottle before bed. I decided to try and cut out one feeding. I started giving Alexa 6 ounce bottles in hopes that this would stretch out the time between meals. I am not sure if she is going through a growth spurt or just really likes to eat. She is still wanting to eat every 3-3.5hours. So we are still at 6 bottles a day, but now she is having 37oz instead of the 32oz.

The big milestone reached this week is rolling over. Alexa can roll from her back to her stomach with out any problem. Once she gets to her stomach she gets really mad & starts to cry. Hopefully this will encourage her to flip herself back over. She still hates tummy time. We do attempt some tummy time 3 times a day and have made it up to 5minutes before the melt down begins. We started doing a daily craft this week. This can be very challenging with a baby of Alexa's age but it is something we both really enjoy. Our craft usually involves some sort of paint or water & always ends in a bath. So far we have made some adorable artwork to send to Justin.

This week was our last few days home with Justin. One thing I really wanted to do was to get a new family photo. Our last family photo was several months ago when Alexa was only 6 days old. We ended up really enjoying our photo session & fell in love with most of the pictures. This was the first time Alexa smiled during professional photos. She made the selection process very difficult. On Sunday we had to say good bye to Justin. I am sooo glad Alexa is unaware of the situation. I would hate for her to have to go through the heart ache of missing her Daddy. This was a difficult day. In a strange way I was ready for it to be here. We found out exactly 1 week before Alexa was born that Justin would be deploying. Ever since we have been dreading the day. So now we can move past it. I know it will be a difficult year, but there are great things ahead of us. Now we can start the count down to his safe return.

The phrase "When it rains it pours" best describes Monday morning. I woke up feel a little blue about not having Justin home and then I looked out the window. We had 3-4inches of snow and it was still come down hard. We ended up getting more than 6inches in total. Usually this would be a welcomed experience. This particular storm brought out new challenges for me. First off I do not own a shovel. While Justin is deployed the housing department on post will shovel the drive for me. But it does take them some time to get to all the houses. Secondly we were stuck inside all day. Alexa and I are used to getting out at least once a day. We both enjoy walking around the PX or running small errands. Tuesday morning we went out on the snow covered roads to get some fresh air.

Justin has been great with keep communication with us. While he is in Kuwait he has to use to USO phones and computers. This is a great program & we appreciate the communication that is available. The only complaint would have to be that Justin has to wait up to an hour to use the phone and then has a time limit. The 9 hour time change is something to get used it. We are both awake at the same time roughly 7 hours a day. I offered to wake up in the middle of the night to talk to him. I was exhausting but it was worth every minute. Once he moves to Iraq we will have more regular communication.

My goals for this week include:
Getting Alexa on a better napping schedule (3 or 4 longer naps instead of 6-7 catnaps)
Spreading the daytime bottles to 4hours
Increase tummy time to 4 times a day (at least 5 minutes each session)

No comments:

Post a Comment