Saturday, February 8, 2014

6 Months Old & Lots of others...

Our tiny peanut is 6 months old. As I say every month, it's hard to believe. Addison weighed in at 14 lbs. 12 oz., 25.5 inches long & her head circumference is 47 centimeters. Her weight is still the 23 percentile, height was somewhere in the 30's (went up) and her head is HUGE! I guess I never noticed how big her head was. Babies proportions are so different then adults and I am not around many babies, so it just seemed normal to me. The doctor was first concerned with how her forehead protruded. She looked at Alexa and said it was the same way.. then moved my hair to the side and said it must be hereditary. Nothing like a kick from the doctor. Haha! Addison has hit all of her milestones and got her 3rd round of vaccinations. This was the first well visit that Alexa went to with me. She was upset because she was not getting a shot (she is OBSESSED with band aids). After she saw Addison crying she was good with not getting one. Addison blew raspberries at the nurses during the oral vaccine. It was sort of her way of protesting the situation. She did really well after the shots. That first night was rough but she never got a fever or any real symptoms. She goes back for a well visit at 9 months & her fourth round of shots at 1 year.

Addison also had her eye visit follow up. The doctor said her tear duct is not closed (YES!). He did notice there is some redness and dry skin on the eye lid. He gave us a steroid cream to put on to hopefully clear it up. Assuming it does, she does not need to go back. I just realized I did not write about Alexa's eye exam. Our insurance covers an exam every other year starting at the age of 3. I figured I would take her in just to make sure she was seeing the best she could. She sat in the big chair all by herself. The nurse had Alexa tell her the shapes (house, airplane, horse). Alexa did great. Once she realized the pictures were larger behind her, she kept cheating. We would catch her turning around to look at them. Alexa passed the regular eye exam. The doctor felt she may have some small astigmatism so she wanted to dilate her eyes. She was just like her Mommy. Once her eyes were dilated she had a small prescription. The doctor said they do not give reading glasses to 3 year olds unless they really bad. She said when Alexa get her eyes checked at 5 they will give her reading glasses if her eyes are equal or worse than what they are now. I have to admit watching her walk around with dilated eyes was adorable. She freaked out when she realized she could not read things up close. When she went outside she held the sunglasses very tight against her face. She did very well and I am proud of her.

Addison has spent the last month enjoying all of her new foods. So far she LOVES her veggies and tolerates her fruits. Her favorite food seems to be green veggies (peas, green beans, garden veggie's). So far I have not found anything that she actually refuses all together. She enjoys eating puffs. We usually put a puff with her fruit and she eats her breakfast quicker and happier. She likes the challenge of MumMums. I am looking forward to watching her discover new foods. So far she enjoys watching us eat and she even opens her mouth for us to give her some. I am trying not to expose her to anything with seasons or processed foods in it. Hopefully she will be my good eater. Addison is still refusing bottles. Ms. Darlene has had a few successes here or there, but nothing consistent. I guess we are just going to skip them all together. Hopefully she will take a sippy cup sometime this spring.

Bath time is my girls favorite time of the day. Addison is still laying in her baby bath. I put in the big bath while Alexa is in there and they can sort of play together. Addison prefers to kick the water as hard as she can. Sometimes it looks like she is trying to empty her baby bath out. Other times she watches Alexa and laughs at the show her big sister puts on for her. Alexa has become obsessed with her color changing tablets. She has learned how to make green, orange & purple and what happens when you mix the wrong colors together. It's been a great learning experience. She will even ask us if we know how a certain color is made, just to make sure we know. She also enjoys playing with her bath markers, lots of floating toys & her submarine from GB.

Alexa has continued to enjoy dance class. I am actually impressed on how much the teacher is able to teach 6 3-4 year olds in an hour. She will continue day through March and then we will reevaluate. If we are still living in Kansas in April then she will start swim lessons. I am really excited for her to learn how to swim. After watching my nephew Matthew's videos it is evident that three year olds can do much more than I gave them credit for. I hope Alexa loves the water as much as Matthew does. We have talked about getting Addison in a parent/ baby class but have decided against it for now. When Alexa took swim lessons it seemed as though she got an ear infection within 3 days every time. I really want to avoid another set of tubes if I can.

1 comment:

  1. Landon was the same way about a bottle. He actually only took the ones with the straws. Hopefully Addison will take a sippy this spring.

    ReplyDelete