Monday, December 15, 2014

The start of Christmas 2014

This Christmas is going to be our second Christmas at home with just the four of us. Unlike last year we are not traveling East at all this winter. It feels strange but OK. The first few years I lived away, Cincinnati always felt like home. Over the last 5-6 years that has really changed. Justin and I have become our own family and Cincinnati is more of a vacation place. Now that we are in the process of moving to California I can foresee us traveling less and less back to the East. Hopefully we can do at least one trip a year because I do miss my parents & siblings.

Our church in Arizona does a live nativity. We were asked to play Mary, Joseph, Jesus & an Angel for one of the three nights. I was very excited to participate and honored to play a main role. I was super nervous but once I was told I wouldn't have a speaking role I was sold. Alexa LOVED her costume and made a wonderful angel. She danced around and played with her friend Evie. Between the 2nd and 3rd show she fell asleep in the head angels arms. We laid her on a hay bale and she slept until it was all over. Addison enjoyed the scenery but didn't want to be held for hours on end. The first showing she drank milk peacefully in my arms. During the second show she resisted a bit. The third and fourth shows were tough. By the fifth she was exhausted and fell asleep. She stayed asleep through the last one and it was a peaceful. The nativity was put together by over 150 people a night. There was a brass band, carolers, puppet show (teen ministry), kids crafts, and full tours through the town of Bethlehem including live animals. There were 8-10 scenes showing different events of the story. At the end was the birth of Jesus with live music and the story telling. It was an amazing experience and I am so grateful we were able to participate.

Our first Christmas was with Grammie. I always love when my Mom comes in town. She is such an awesome help and they just adore her. Alexa kept Grammie very busy. Grammie took the girls shopping for a few new toys. Alexa picked out Skye from Paw Patrol and a karaoke machine from My Little Pony. Addison picked out a lap piano and a Mickey Mouse train. After the toy store we went to Lowe's for the kid event. Alexa's train was a bit more than she was able to do on her own. Grammie and I somehow put the train together & Alexa was satisfied with putting on the stickers. She was really excited for her new vest & getting her first patch. Saturday afternoon we did a traditional Christmas celebration. The girls both enjoyed their gifts from Grammie & loved to give her the ornaments they made and the small gifts they picked out. Saturday night Grammie even babysat the girls so Justin and I could go out on our first date since last February. It was wonderful!

Sunday morning we all went to church for the Christmas program. Addison did awesome in the nursery (not always a guarantee) and Alexa sat with us during the program. Sunday after Justin had us hot wings & then had to head back to California. Sunday night we took Grammie through the live nativity. On Monday, Grammie and I read a story to Alexa's class. The kids were great and Alexa enjoyed showing Grammie her classroom. Unfortunately her visit was short and we had to take her back to the airport. Alexa was very sad to see her leave and wants her to come back very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment